Dave Lombardo Replaced By Slayer For Band's 2013 Australian Tour, Future Uncertain

When big metal news stories hit, they often tend to come out of the blue, and this is certainly the case with this one. Earlier today, some rather shocking news concerning thrash legends Slayer and specifically their drumming legend Mr Dave Lombardo emerged. Rather than repeat the details, please view the statement in full from Lombardo himself below.


I want to personally apologize to all of our fans in Australia who have bought tickets for the tour expecting to see me in my usual place on the drums.

So that you all know the truth, as of the end of the business day on February 14th, I was notified that I would not be drumming for the tour in Australia. I’m saddened, and to be honest I am shocked by the situation.

Last year, I discovered 90% of Slayer’s tour income was being deducted as expenses including the professional fees paid to management, costing the band millions of dollars and leaving 10% or less to split amongst the four of us. In my opinion, this is not the way a band’s business should operate. I tried rectifying it by letting my band mates know, and Tom and I hired auditors to figure out what happened, but I was denied access to detailed information and the necessary back up documents.

I spent the Christmas and New Year holidays realizing I had toured all over the world in 2012, but yet, had not been paid (except a small advance) or provided a proper accounting for a full year's sweat and blood. On top of this, I was told that I would not be paid until I signed a long form contract which gave me no written assurance of how much or on what basis management would deduct commissions, nor did it provide me access to the financial budgets or records for review. It also forbade me to do interviews or make statements having to do with the band, in effect a gagging order.

Last Monday, I sat down with Kerry and Tom to rehearse for Australia and to propose a new business model that I felt was the best way forward for Slayer to confidently protect itself so we could do what we do best . . . play for the fans. Kerry made it clear he wasn’t interested in making changes and said if I wanted to argue the point, he would find another drummer. On Thursday, I arrived at rehearsals at 1 pm as scheduled, but Kerry did not show. Rather, at 6:24 pm I received an email from the lawyers saying I was being replaced for the Australian dates.

I remain hopeful that we can resolve our issues. But once again, I sincerely apologize to all of our fans in Australia who spent their money expecting to see the 3 of us original Slayer members.
I look forward to seeing you in the future.

Sincerely,
Dave Lombardo

Needless to say, this is quite a concerning turn of events on multiple levels and we can only hope that Dave and Kerry manage to resolve their differences and move forward with the classic Slayer lineup that the fans know and love. Any further updates on this situation will be brought to our readers as soon as they develop. Slayer are due to take part in the 2013 Soundwave Festival over the next week or so in Australia. No confirmed news about a replacement drummer for the tour is available at this time.

UPDATE: Slayer have now confirmed a replacement drummer for their Australian tour. John Dette, who was once a member of the band as well as filling in for them on occasions has been confirmed by the promoters of Soundwave as the Slayer drummer for their tour. What will happen beyond this tour remains to be seen.

Everything Else: 

Scribbled by:

Nik works in music PR, he wanted to be famous but genetics determined a managerial route instead. He put his energy into working out how to design stuff, build web stuff and string a decent series of words together. He is a big fan of original and unique sounding bands, loving a good melody and anthem - although he has been known to listen to 90s glam rock in private.